Wednesday 28 November 2012

It has to start off somewhere...

"All successful men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work everyday towards their distant vision, that goal or purpose."

-Brian Tracy-

Do you have a dream that you are aiming to achieve? 

Every individual in this world has a dream(s) that they want to achieve. When you start dreaming, that is when you'll start striving for it. I have a dream too. My dream is to build a foundation for the disabled children. 

My late uncle (this pic was taken a month before he died) 
I always had this thing inside me to help people, especially the disabled because I pretty much grew up with my late uncle, who happen to be a disabled person. To be more precise, he wasn't really disabled but he was mentally challenged. He is my father's younger brother and he is the sixth among twelve children my grandparents gave birth to. YEAH, I know that's a lot. He was actually a pre-mature baby. He only started walking in the age of ten. He can do almost everything by himself but he is just not like us; he doesn't speak like us, think like us, and he doesn't understand anything about the world we live in. He has his little own realm where he was happy to the core till the day he passed away. My grandma and I were the only people who could understand his language. I think I've spent more time with him than I spent with my parents. He may be disabled but he has a very good memory power. He can remember the colour of my shirt which I would have worn a week ago. Sometimes, even my relatives would get shocked with his incredible memory power. He is the best uncle I've ever had and I wish I could just see him again, just once. 

From left, me, my brother, my cousin and uncle raja
His death made me realise a lots of things in life. This whole idea of building a foundation for the disabled was because of him. Do you know that feeling you have when your loved one passes away and you have done nothing for him/her? I had that feeling for months, in fact I still do have it. Its more like a guilty feeling that doesn't fade away fast. As far as I know, my dream of building this foundation is not going to be easy and it is going to be a very long process. In order to achieve this dream of mine, I started off with doing my little research on various charities. I signed up online to be a member in this charity home called "Kaakum Karangal", which is located in West Mambalam Chennai, South India. I discussed with my parents about this whole idea of mine and they said they were ready to help at any cost. So during Deepavali, with the help of my parents and brother I sent them an amount of money via post and since there was no celebration for us this year due to the death of my uncle, at least let them celebrate with joy.


Uncle Raja with his brother
This is where I started and I will keep working hard towards achieving my goal. I would do anything to help those who are in need. There are 650 million people who are disabled, including children and I want to make a difference in their lives. As what Mother Teresa said, "if you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one." 

No comments:

Post a Comment